We are on a mission to expand services to Veterans, including offering services to homeless female veterans and veteran families. In July 2016, we opened the Lee Wetherington Family Village. These 14 units provide permanent supportive housing for families, especially those who have served our country in the armed forces. Help us protect those who have protected us!
- Between 529,000 and 840,000 veterans are homeless at some time during the year.
- On any given night, more than 300,000 veterans are living on the streets or in shelters in the U.S.
- Approx. 33% of homeless males in the U.S. are veterans.
- Veterans are twice as likely as other Americans to become chronically homeless.
- Veterans represent 11% of the adult civilian population, but 26% of the homeless population, according to the Homeless Research Institute (2007).
- Veterans are more at risk of becoming homeless than non-veterans
- The number of homeless Vietnam-era veterans, male and female, is greater than the number of soldiers who died during the war.
- Primary causes of homelessness among veterans are:
1. Lack of income due to limited education and lack of transferable skills from military to civilian life (especially true of younger veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan)
2. Combat-related physical health issues and disabilities
3. Combat-related mental health issues and disabilities
4. Substance abuse problems that interfere with job retention
5. Weak social networks due to problems adjusting to civilian life
6. Lack of services.
Since, 2010 it has been Harvest House’s privilege to serve the male homeless veteran population. We have seen great success over the last three years, with an 80% of our participating veterans moving into permanent housing.
With your help we can give veterans, who so valiantly fought for our country, the support they deserve and need to re-enter society as active, contributing members capable of caring for their families, themselves, and their future. Please contact our Director of Development at (941) 685-4047 to get involved with this initiative!
Welcome Home a Hero today by donating!
Harvest House Transitional Centers is a subsidiary of Harvest Tabernacle of Sarasota, Inc.
Harvest Tabernacle of Sarasota, Inc. is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization registered with the State of Florida (CH39598).